Tuesday 17 September 2019

Free-Movin' and Free-Wheelin'

As I prep for another build, I'm considering how much of a God-send it is to be able to freely move rooms around in TS4. I really wish this had been a feature in TS3!
You see, it's all fine and good if you want to make a home from a TV show, but the interior sets and exterior shots aren't necessarily mutally exclusive. It's a was only a minor problem with Gale Farm. I worked building the exterior first and managed to achieve a decent scale, but when it came to the interior it seems to fall short of space for what we see in the film.

When Dorothy is running through the house looking for her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry during the cyclone, it would appear there's an extra room (bathroom perhaps?) just next to Dorothy's room. I studied screencaps long and hard, even discovered little details I'd never noticed before in my many (and there's been MANY) viewings over the years, and just could not fathom how these rooms would fit within the space. I did consider upscaling but then that would have made the living room and adjoining double bedroom too big. It needed to keep that cozy feel.

Luckily though, I had a brainwave with the idea of an outhouse. Given the time period of the film, an outhouse would be quite feasbile and it was a reat fit. The now-retired base-game version (still available at TSR) never sat well with me though, and I eventually replaced it with the outhouse from Movie Stuff when I napped that EP in the Steam sale. All-in-all, I felt like it was a success.

Getting back to my idea, I'm posed with the problem of an interior set that has nothing to do with the exterior shots. The more I study it, the more baffled I become that the exterior was chosen to represent this character's home. It'll be a hard sell to try and get these to believably match up, which is probably why I put off making it for TS3. I'm hoping that if I make all the interior rooms separately, I can piece them together like a jigsaw puzzle and improvise on the unseen. The exterior show of the house was always the same shot and the only outside element where characters would be seen was the courtyard, so maybe I can find some middle ground where the two can believably meet.

Once I have it nailed in TS4, I should be able to re-create it for TS3 and possibly TS2 later on. In the meantime, I will be ffering up some of the rooms from High Ashville to the Sims 4 Gallery, and here of course!

Until then, take care!

B2 x
 

B2 Sims Customised version of 'I Love Books' by Ipietoon. A selection of TS4™ icons featured are by Oh My Sims!

This blog is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved. Images used in this blog is uploaded and used lawfully in accordance with fair use. There is no intent to utilise in any manner images or files which would produce a financial profit, nor any image or file that would detract from the potential of Electronic Arts to profit financially from the same or similar works.